That Video Game Podcast
December 17, 2017, 02:09:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please vote for TVGP on our iTunes page: TVGP iTunes Page

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Episode 001: RPG Love, August 2011  (Read 7333 times)
Nyc Alpha
Straight Ridiculous

Legs, yes. Bowtie, cool. I can buy a fez

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 04:02:44 PM »

Everyone play Chrono Trigger!!! I am proposing a community playdate to see how far everyone can get in a weekend or week. Prizes will follow.

I'm down with this. I think I got about halfway through the DS version when it was originally released then quit. I wasn't leveled up enough to beat the boss I was facing.

I might start a thread, see what people think. Maybe have a monthly RPG race or something like that.

Now begins the killing
Warkthogus
Loves the Lungfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 06:51:07 PM »

I might start a thread, see what people think. Maybe have a monthly RPG race or something like that.

I generally don't spend much time on RPGs, but I would definitely be up for it.  It's nice to have people to talk to about the game you're playing, especially if it's not a new release.

Sounds like a jolly good time!

Boston
TVGP Host
739 Million Posts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 07:14:03 PM »

Everyone play Chrono Trigger!!! I am proposing a community playdate to see how far everyone can get in a weekend or week. Prizes will follow.

I'm down with this. I think I got about halfway through the DS version when it was originally released then quit. I wasn't leveled up enough to beat the boss I was facing.

Musim and I were thinking about doing that when we were planning for the series, but didn't know if any of you guys and gals would be interested.  Clearly you are Cheesy 

If everyone picks an RPG for this month I'll create a thread for it in this forum and we can get to chattin'. 
BigMaki
Loves the Lungfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 08:21:56 PM »

SUPER RPG ALERT!

Gotta use those caps Cheesy

Chrono Trigger is on sale on Amazon today for only $15!  The MSRP now seems to be only $20, but you can get it for $5 off!  What a steal!  And it comes with free exclamation points!

Click this ish to pick it up: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E27DLM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thrinerd-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B001E27DLM

Y'know, you just cost me $15. I have the PS1 version that came with FF4 (I believe) but having it on the DS seems like such a better deal! Why am I buying awesome games I have no time to play!? Dammit!

Nyc Alpha
Straight Ridiculous

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 09:35:50 PM »

Musim and I were thinking about doing that when we were planning for the series, but didn't know if any of you guys and gals would be interested.  Clearly you are Cheesy 

If everyone picks an RPG for this month I'll create a thread for it in this forum and we can get to chattin'. 

Do you want to have it like TVGP Plays, and have everyone suggest say 3 RPGs, then poll the top three after a week of suggestions? Or, maybe we could start with early RPGs and play through time, maybe opening with PS titles. Just a thought.

Now begins the killing
Boston
TVGP Host
739 Million Posts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 05:58:06 AM »

Do you want to have it like TVGP Plays, and have everyone suggest say 3 RPGs, then poll the top three after a week of suggestions? Or, maybe we could start with early RPGs and play through time, maybe opening with PS titles. Just a thought.

Well it sounds like everyone is ready to play Chrono Trigger, so we'll just start with that one.  Not only is it a great RPG but it's a great starter RPG for those that are interested in hopping into the genre.  I'll post something this weekend starting it and we'll kind of wing it from there Tongue
musim
The Most Correctest - 2016
Tensei'd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 06:28:04 AM »

Well it sounds like everyone is ready to play Chrono Trigger, so we'll just start with that one.  Not only is it a great RPG but it's a great starter RPG for those that are interested in hopping into the genre.  I'll post something this weekend starting it and we'll kind of wing it from there Tongue

And Chronotrigger is even better for me since I might be able to actually keep up! 

Nyc Alpha
Straight Ridiculous

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 06:31:36 AM »

And Chronotrigger is even better for me since I might be able to actually keep up! 

Let's make it happen. Best on the fly movement, ever.

Now begins the killing
jive495
739 Million Posts

Woooooooooooooooooo!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2011, 02:11:37 PM »

Hells yeah, time to play some Chrono Trigger

Check out my (now defunct) band 10 Cent Dynamite on Facebook

latro
Wearing a Suit of Twenties

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 01:42:45 PM »

Awesome show guys - I just wish yo were doing more than one a month!

My new blog: http://theotherendofthespectrum.blogspot.com  Updated 09/05/10
freewindcastle
I'm New Here!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2011, 11:32:03 PM »

I've recently discovered TVGP and this podcast. I freakin' love JRPGs and I'm glad to find you guys. Thank you for your podcast. I find it kind of discouraging that a lot of people I know don't see the value of a long and enriching gaming experience centered around story. I like the analogy that playing an JRPG is similar to reading a novel (which may be a bit awkward due to translation issues), whereas playing the popular games of this generation is more like reading cracked.com articles, where the writing and funny pictures provide amusement, but don't contribute to lasting and strong emotional experience. I think both have their purposes, but I really don't want the JRPG genre to be dead.

Atmosphere, the way the music carries the emotion of a narrative, a fully realized world both contextually and visually, a journey...these are the things which I think make a great JRPG and they are also things that are the hardest to define and to convey to people who base games on set categories such as gameplay mechanics and graphics (on face value). Those qualities of JRPGs are hard to judge on strict numbers or with a "good" or "bad" rating. Together they contribute to an engaging experience, but if you isolate those aspects then it becomes meaningless to people.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:35:19 PM by freewindcastle » Logged
KniVes311
Table Flipper

Ith's maddening!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 09:05:44 PM »

Love the show, guys! So glad to add a great podcast to my weekly lineup. It will be weekly, right?

All the FF5 talk has encouraged me to play it. I've started it many times, but never beat it. This of course means I'm missing out on playing CT with everyone, but I've beaten that game quite a few times. I just hope you guys convince a good number of people to play it! It has to be one of the best JRPGs ever made!

Nyc Alpha
Straight Ridiculous

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 01:20:03 AM »

Love the show, guys! So glad to add a great podcast to my weekly lineup. It will be weekly, right?

I fear not my friend. If I understand correctly RPG Love is a monthly podcast (almost positive, but don't hold me to it). Much as I would love another excuse to listen to Boston and MusiM chatting about video games every week, I would hate to be the one trying to manage three podcasts on a weekly/bi-weekly basis and a forum!

Now begins the killing
KniVes311
Table Flipper

Ith's maddening!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 01:25:37 AM »

I fear not my friend. If I understand correctly RPG Love is a monthly podcast (almost positive, but don't hold me to it). Much as I would love another excuse to listen to Boston and MusiM chatting about video games every week, I would hate to be the one trying to manage three podcasts on a weekly/bi-weekly basis and a forum!
True that!

Omen Crow
Farming Queen

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »

Great episode!!! I look forward to hearing more.

Boston
TVGP Host
739 Million Posts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2011, 03:46:42 AM »

Now you know why it's monthly Tongue  I'd like to do it more often, but there's just not enough time at the moment with everything both Musim and I have going on.  And don't forget, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." Cheesy

Huge thanks to everyone who listened and wrote in!  The episode has been hugely successful so far and I definitely can't wait to record September's episode!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: